Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Love Letter to Church Society & Community Cookbooks

Dear spiral-bound church and community cookbook collection,

I know that you feel neglected and taken for granted.  I admit, I get seduced by fancy cookbooks from famous authors and Food Network chefs.  In my love for these shiny new objects, I've often put you and your regionally popular recipes aside when searching for something to cook.  And yet, your recipes reflect what people actually EAT around here!  I'm not going to cook a fancy 3-course dinner for my friends (Okay, sometimes I get fancy, but that's the exception).  I'll throw a potluck and make recipes that don't involve bizarre ingredients or 50 different steps.  How else can one feed 30 people on a budget or take people back to the foods they remember from childhood? 

I promise to consult you more often and make recipes that celebrate the unique tastes and styles of the bygone era.  I promise to honor my heritage and enjoy good food with commonly available ingredients.  I promise to learn forgotten recipes and techniques within your yellowed pages.  Thank you for keeping your faith in me all of these years.

Sincerely,

A Wayward Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment