Saturday, January 28, 2012

Is that Lasagna in my Soup?

Yesterday, the weather shifted as it often does this time of year.  Gone were high temperatures in the 60's replaced by highs in the low 50's and chilly nights in the 30's.  With chillier temps coming for the weekend, another soup craving hit.  I wanted something simple, satisfying, and easy.  That got me thinking about a soup my neighbor made for a dinner party last winter.  It was so satisfying, yet light and and delicious I couldn't stop thinking about making it for my sweetie and me.  I love that it's a soup you can make from common pantry ingredients, can be scaled up to feed a crowd, and it tastes like lasagna.  As a recipe she has made for years, it's a classic on which she relies often.  Now that I've made it once, I know it will become a classic in my home as well.  Since my sweetie has specific likes and dislikes, I do tend to modify recipes some.  So, with apologies to my neighbor for taking a few liberties with her original recipe, here is my take on Jennifer's Lasagna Soup.  Happy eating!



Lasagna Soup
1 lb lean ground beef
I small onion, chopped
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 carton (32 oz) beef broth
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb (1/2 box) rotini pasta

Heat a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add ground beef and brown 5 minutes.  Add onions and cook until they are translucent and beef is cooked through, about 7 more minutes.  Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, broth, and seasonings.  Turn up heat to medium high and heat soup to boiling.  Add pasta and continue to boil soup until pasta is done, about 7 minutes (check pasta box for recommended cooking time).  Taste test after 5 minutes and in one minute intervals after.  When pasta is al dente, turn off heat.  Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment