Thursday, January 26, 2012

There's a Taco in My Soup!

If your family was like mine, taco night was practically a weekly occurrence.  Living down in San Antonio, we embraced the cultural norm of "Tex-Mex" cuisine and took for granted the abundance of authentic products available to liven up our meals.  Fresh tortillas and tortilla chips, authentic refritos, and selection of salsas were just a few of the typical ingredients gracing our table.

When I was newly married, like most young wives, I wanted to learn how to make meals my husband loved and grew up with.  Sissy, my mother-in-law, shared a favorite soup recipe combining the best flavors of the Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine we enjoy down here.  The ingredients are simple and readily available.  Plus, it's a great way to use up those crushed up tortilla chips at the bottom of the bag or slightly stale ones.  What I love best is that it's so easy to modify the recipe and scale it up for a crowd.  I cut the sodium by omitting the ranch dressing mix, I've made it vegetarian with black beans and kidney beans, and included extras such as chopped onions and cilantro.  Use a slow cooker, serve at a party instead of chili - it's amazingly versatile.  A true Texas-style classic (over 25 years in the supper rotation for my husband) and I bet it becomes a go-to meal in your house.  Happy eating!

Taco Soup
1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or chicken
1 package taco seasoning
1 package dry Ranch dressing mix (optional - I omit)
1 can (about 15 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles (I use Ro-Tel)*
1 can chili beans
1 cup frozen corn or 1 can whole kernel corn, drained

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the meat.  When meat is browned, add the taco seasoning, dressing mix (if using), tomatoes with chiles, chili beans, two cans of water (use chili bean can) and the corn.  Bring soup to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.  Ladle over crushed tortilla chips and serve with sour cream and shredded cheese.

*If you cannot find Ro-tel, substitute one can (15 oz) diced tomatoes and 1 can (4 oz) green chiles.  For milder flavor, omit green chiles.

To make vegetarian, omit meat and add in 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed and/or 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed.  (Also check that the chili beans you use are vegetarian - most are)

No comments:

Post a Comment